The building which was completed in 1936 is called the old wing. The old wing, which is wooden and two-story, was designed led by Soetsu Yanagi. Both its exterior and each exhibition room have Japanese style and are adopted Western-style here and there, too. The old wing and the stone wall along the street were designated as Registered Tangible Cultural Property of Japan in 1999. The two-story new wing made of reinforced concrete was reconstructed in 1982 where the old main exhibition room was.
Yanagi's Residence has a long-gate which had been re-located from Tochigi prefecture and a main house. It was completed in 1935, one year before the Museum was opened. The main house was designed by Soetsu Yanagi as the old wing of the main hall. Yanagi lived here until he died at the age of 72. (open to the public on the second Wed & Sat, the third Wed & Sat during each exhibition)
The Museum Shop carries an extensive collection of merchandise, representing present craft works all over Japan --- works such as ceramics, glass, baskets, Japanese paper products and more which are produced in traditional areas as well as produced by individual workers. We choose items which are healthy and useful to daily life.